Accounting and Finance
The program of Accounting and Finance plans to meet the College’s mission of instilling into present and future-leaders knowledge of current and future accounting, auditing and finance practices and relevant skills through student–centered high quality, viable programs which are fully recognized internationally and by both the private and public institutions in Ethiopia.
General Objectives of the program
The program of Accounting and Finance plans to meet the College’s mission of instilling into present and future-leaders knowledge of current and future accounting, auditing and finance practices and relevant skills through student–centered high quality, viable programs which are fully recognized internationally and by both the private and public institutions in Ethiopia. Hence, the Department seeks to sustain its growth and relevance through:
- A highly educated and motivated faculty Viable programs which have local relevance and fully recognized internationally.
- Relevant curriculum leading to an exceptional learning environment with full access to new technologies and computer-mediated learning
- An abundant level of intellectual capital created through scholarly activities
- Research that meets the needs of the local and international business and academic communities
- A fully integrated international perspective
- A full understanding of employer needs obtained through constant monitoring of the business environment through linkage program
Specific Objectives of the program
The program of Accounting and Finance has the following specific objectives:
- To produce graduates to satisfy a portion of the demand for accounting and finance graduates.
- To enhance the relevance and timeliness of instruction, as well as the technical competency of the staff, by conducting applied research and developing innovative educational materials and techniques.
- To provide students with sufficient academic, technical, logical, analytical, and professional base from which to pursue a career in accounting and finance and to advance to further study and a potential academic career in accounting and finance
- To be a major provider of consultancy services to the public
- To put its second year complete and third year complete students into intern ship programs in which students gain practical experience
- To establish linkage programs with different stakeholders from which the program will be able to tap resources and share experiences
Graduate Profile and Professional Profile
Upon graduate from the program, the graduate from BA degree in Accounting and Finance should have accounting and finance knowledge and understanding that enable them to:
- Prepare, analyze, and interpret financial statements competently.
- Audit financial statements and the underlying accounting systems.
- Identify, measure, gather, analyze, interpret and communicate cost and other types of information to the management.
- Identify, anticipate and control risks both in manual and computerized accounting systems.
- Analyze and design accounting information systems, and use computer applications in business transaction cycles.
- Develop the specific skills, modes of analysis and institutional background useful to work in finance areas for profit-making businesses or not-for-profit enterprises.
- Establish and manage their own business.
- Conduct accounting and finance related research and form linkage with various accounting and finance research based institutions.
- Manage clerical activities like, keeping general accounts, records and reports; payroll processing and billings.
- Prepare tax return and perform tax plan .
- Internalize an appreciation for the role of ethics in both the profession and the business world.
- Ready for furthers studies & trainings.
With additional training and work experience, the graduates of the program can pursue careers and render professional services in the areas of accounting and finance in various forms of organizations ranging from private, governmental and non-profit entities. After successful compilation of the three years undergraduate program of accounting and finance, students will be able to be:
- Perform clerical activities .
- Work as a cost and managerial accountant .
- Perform audit and other assurance services
- Design and implement computerized and manual accounting systems
- Provide consultancy services
- Perform project evaluation and control
- Prepare and control budget
- Manage financial resource and risk exposures of business firms
- Prepare tax return, work as internal revenue agents and tax administrator
- Run brokerage & dealer firms and investment banks
- Prepare and communicate financial and non financial information
- Conduct scientific researches in the area of accounting and finance